Basic Info for Artists: The College Hill Arts Festival (CHAF) is held the third week-end in June
See CHAF Homepage left sidebar for exact dates this year
- Festival hours are Friday Noon to 8 pm and Saturday 10am to 5pm.
- Friday 11:00 to noon is special pre-opening hour for Patrons and general public opens at noon
- Application fee: $25 per application (all categories)
- Separate fee for each category application
- Booth Fee: $250 for accepted artists due mid March
- CHAF self limits to 75 juried Artists each year
Location: The College Hill Arts Festival (CHAF) is held at 23rd and College St,
- On the Univ. of Northern Iowa Campus in Cedar Falls, IA next to Lang Hall (State of Iowa property)
- State property rules apply: no animals, smoke & drug free area, no electrical hook-ups avail.
- The University is in summer session during the Festival.
- Site is approximately 500 feet by 500 feet.
Booth size: Each booth space is a minimum of 13’ by 13’
- Most spaces are larger.
- All booth sites are singles.
- Mature trees scattered throughout the site provide partial shade (it is a park).
- There are a few sidewalks (used as paved roads during set-up/break down).
- All booths and walkways are on grass (no concrete or blacktop).
- Some of the site has a slight grade of 1% – 3 %.
- Special booth requests are at the discretion of the Festival & handled on a first come first served basis.
Set-up: Set-up starts after Artist check-in which runs 4 to 8 pm on Thursday and Friday 8 to 10 am.
- Set-up must be complete by 11:00 Friday morning (vehicles off the site by 10:00)
- Breakdown begins after 5 pm on Saturday at the artists’ pace (most are gone by 7:00 pm).
- Festival staff is available throughout to direct on-site traffic and answer questions.
Artist support: On-site free wi-fi,
- Unload and load out assistance available (local Scout troop) with advance notice
NOTE: Unload/load assistance hourly expenses borne by artist.
- Special social event on Thursday night about 8:00 just off site
- CHAF operates an Artists’ Hospitality House (“Honors Cottage” on map)
Artist Hospitality provides beverages and snacks both days and starts quite early
- Overnight site security provided Thursday & Friday nights,
- Artist Bed & Breakfast program available
- Artist booth relief team operates during Festival hours,
- Battery charging area is available in the food court area
- Artist restroom available in the Artist Hospitality House
- Artist/Volunteers buffet dinner `on Friday night after close
- Artist box lunches provided just before breakdown Saturday.
- On site ambulance and emergency action plans in place.
- Periodic visible University police presence and overnight security.
- Plenty of designated well maintained, air-conditioned public restrooms located in the University in Lang Hall at the edge of the site (as well as at the Artist Hospitality House)
Artist parking: There is a University parking structure within a block of the site on 23rd St.
- Paved outside parking lots are within two blocks of the Festival site.
- A lot for oversize vehicles is about 4 blocks from the Festival on 23rd St.
- Artists get a parking pass for the structure or lots.